Thursday, February 17, 2011

Greetings Beer Runners

I hope the new year is going well for you all, and a big shame on you to any of the regulars that missed last week’s beer run from the classic Missoula establishment the Oxford. We had a nice run and, well let’s just say the Ox was fun, and a lot nicer than I remember it from my last trip through there.

Our recent activities have drawn the attention of Rick Ryan, a long time RWM member who moved away a few months ago, but he did send this email a few days ago that I wanted to share, (yes editor he gave me permission to use it in our newsletter):

“Now I'm really jealous!

I meant to email you about the Double Front run. The last Double Front I've had in the last 20 years was planned for an eight mile out-and-back for 2009 Boston training group on a Thursday. Kids were gone and Joanna was working;I was on my own for dinner, so I packed some money and headed over to DF for the chicken that I had not tasted in well over 15 years. It was great!

Good On Ya' for your beer runs. The Ox has always had a special place in my heart going back to my arrival in Missoula in 1971. "Stretch one with!" "One under the bridge!" "He needs them!" Great ordering codes that ring of Hobo lingo. I would love to join you if I could, but I get a treadmill instead. But good beer here still, so... just bitching a bit.

Keep up the good work!”
Rick Ryan

But enough living in the past, reveling in our glorious Beer Run History. Time marches on and, if we are going to keep making Rick jealous, we need a plan for February. So here it is: I started out thinking that February’s Beer Run should have a Valentine’s Day Theme, but then I got looking at the calendar..and got to thinking. “Feb 23 that’s a lot closer to Fat Tuesday than Valentine’s Day, Mardi Gras is a bunch more fun than sitting round looking at roses and eating chocolates out of a heart shaped box.” Besides I’m not too good at mixing romantic locations, beer and running. But I can mix beer, beads, running and Mardi Gras.
~Your Chancellor of Libations, Pat

No comments: