Friday, March 4, 2011

Marathon Training Class – Just Do It!

What do I say about the marathon and half marathon training class? As I was thinking this week about what I wanted to write I saw Kelsi (a fellow RWM member) at Charlie B’s after the Beer Run. Since I know Kelsi has written at least one fun article for the newsletter I asked her if she had any advice for this novice article writer?Kelsi’s asked “what’s your angle?” Angle? That’s funny. I don’t write articles a lot so I have no angle. So I guess in the end my only angle is to write the things I know to be true.

The bottom line is if you are thinking about doing the training class, JUST DO IT! For new runners, I know what are thinking:

“I’m not a runner”
“Can I really do it?”
“Do I want to make that big of a commitment?”
“Runners sort of intimidate me”

Trust me, I know how you feel. When I did the training class the first year, I thought all those things and then some. (My other big one continues to be “I just really want to sleep in on Sundays.”) But if I can do it, anyone can do it. Take that leap out of your comfort zone, I can tell you for sure it will be worth it! It might just change your life. Trust in the class, trust in your commitment to get to Runner’s Edge on Wednesday and Sundays, trust Anders and his coaching and advice, trust the training schedule, and trust the friends you will meet who will help you along the way. Your commitment to these things will get you to the end! Come marathon day the race might go exactly how you planned or it might not. But if you make the commitment for 18 weeks, chances are you’ll come through the finish line in the upright position. In the end, that’s really all that matters. I always figure any day you finish a race is a good day!
For the people that have done the training before: Just come back and do it. I know I am! You know all the details and you know you want to. Can’t wait to see everyone on March 6th.
~Katie Spaid

1 comment:

Copa Yard Sale said...

Do you have that plan posted some where?