Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Missoula Marathon is Best Event in Montana!

“The Missoula Marathon was the best event in Montana in 2010!” If you don’t want to take my word for it, just ask the Montana Office of Tourism. Last night, the Missoula Marathon was honored as the Montana Tourism Event of the Year for 2010!

As a few of us were heading back to Missoula from the celebration in Helena, it gave me some time to think. I couldn’t help but think of all the hard work that is put into an event like the Missoula Marathon from people who will never get any recognition or awards. I am part of the Marathon for selfish reasons: it not only directly helps my business, but running is what my life is centered around; running and encouraging people to run is my passion and what I enjoy. But what about all the volunteers and businesses of Missoula that support the marathon and never ask for anything in return? For many folks in this community, running may not be their number one priority, yet they continue to work countless hours to make sure this event goes off without a hitch.

One of the speakers at last nights dinner used a John Wooden quote, “the true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching.” I want to thank the hundreds of volunteers and supporters who work so hard on the Missoula Marathon. Whether your job is handing out water to thirsting runners or cleaning up after them, we appreciate everything you do and know this event would not be what it is without you. Congratulations for being part of the “Best Event in Montana!”

Happy Running
Anders – Missoula Marathon Race Director

No comments: