Friday, May 6, 2011

New Run Wild Missoula Board Members

Run Wild Missoula is lucky to introduce two new members of the Board of Directors: Pat Cross and Torrey Holmquist. They were nice enough to answer a few questions about themselves so you can get to know them better. You may already know Pat as the RWM Chancellor of Libations and organizer of the popular Beer Runs. Also, Torrey has been on the Missoula Marathon Committee since the inception of the event and was the volunteer Missoula Marathon Treasurer up until recently.

Pat Cross
E.D.: How did you become involved with Run Wild Missoula? How long ago?

Pat Cross: I joined RWM in 2008 figuring that the membership fees would quickly be paid for with the 10% discount at the Runner’s Edge. That year I started running with some of the evening and weekend group runs, and joined the Missoula Marathon Training Group in ’09.

E.D.: When did you start running? What are you training for now?

Pat Cross: I enjoyed the occasional run in high school and college, but struggled with shin splints so I really wasn’t able to be competitive, though I do remember running a 5k one morning my freshman year of college. I really got serious about running in late winter of 2008, and ran my first half marathon in September of that year.

E.D.: What are your goals for Run Wild Missoula?

Pat Cross: Well there are the obvious goals; continue to increase membership, find more ways to promote healthy running, walking and continue to put on a world class marathon and half marathon. But I think we also need to find more ways to serve our members beyond training classes and races, that is one of my motivations behind the Monthly Beer Runs, we, the members of RWM, just don’t get the club together often enough in true social situations.

Torrey Holmquist
E.D.: How did you become involved with Run Wild Missoula? How long ago?

Torrey Holmquist: I started as Treasurer with the original group who organized the Missoula Marathon. As the marathon grew, I had to step down last year from the Treasury position but also wanted to find another venue within the running arena I could volunteer in. Back in the day, I helped with the idea of having an oversight committee with the Marathon, and this eventually grew into what we now know as the Board. Since there were openings on the Board, I felt it would be a good chance for me to ‘see over the fence' and provide help and learn about what RWM had been doing all the time I was focused with Marathon planning.

E.D.: When did you start running? What are you training for now?

Torrey Holmquist: My running started my last few years of college as a cheep sport. It grew into the Snow Joke, an Ultra and then finally to marathons when I started on the committee. I'm planning on running the Missoula Marathon this year and my training is experimental in that I'm doing as little as possible with the hope for a decent race on July 10th.

E.D.: What are your goals for Run Wild Missoula?

Torrey Holmquist: RWM, in my opinion, has grown into a major vessel that makes the heart of Missoula what it is. I've got ideas how outside organizations may use RWM to help spread their cause while providing all who enjoy running and walking more reasons to continue. It's a long way down the road, but as Missoula ages, having a developed activity group folks of all ages can turn to for fitness will keep the community young and vibrant. However, if RWM and the training class could get my Mom to do the full Marathon - that would be fantastic.

- Eva Dunn-Froebig

No comments: